Work on Issue 2180 - Saved Search UI is broken


The group foursixnine, h3artbl33d, JackDca and Kabouik (Github usernames) have agreed to work together on Issue 2180 - Saved Search UI is broken.

h3artbl33d as Developer will write, modify, and debug code.
JackDca as Reviewer will give the code a second look.
Kabouik and foursixnine as Testers will test the code more thoroughly.

Most likely, more than one pass through this process may be required to get everything right!

The final product will be a pull request for BjarniRunar’s consideration.

There is no schedule. We will work as we are able, and it may take time for some of us to set up development instances of Mailpile before we can even begin. Borrowing from Debian We are all volunteers!

This Topic is a forum for the group to help each other get started, coordinate their work and for others to provide comments and suggestions.


Thank you @JackDca. I enabled topic watching, since I do not often browse this discourse.

Note that I’m a bit unavailable at the moment since I basically broke both my home computer system and my VPS, so I already have plenty on my plate testing/fixing things at the moment. However, I do hope my issue will be solved by the time @h3artbl33d and yourself have some code to test!


Hello @Kabouik! It will likely be a while before there’s new code to test on this issue. Speaking from experience, it takes some time and effort to become productive when working on a previously unexplored part of Mailpile. If and when you do have time, one way to get started (even before there is new code) would be to reproduce the symptoms described in the issue. You might even be able to add some helpful detail.

Good luck with your two systems.



I just wanted to let you know that it might be harder for me to help testing code now because I no longer use Mailpile on a daily basis. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still very interested in Mailpile, trying to keep reading the Github notifications I receive, and I am glad that development is ongoing (I noticed a little more Github notifications lately, good sign). Grateful even, I should say, because Mailpile really fills a gap in the world of email clients in my opinion.

The reason I started using something else is not because I didn’t like Mailpile, but because I got hooked on a more minimalistic approach with a simple terminal email client (i.e., not like Neomutt and its siblings), nmail. It doesn’t have all the features Mailpile has, search for instance is very basic (no “to:”, “from:” or “date:”) while it’s a strength of Mailpile, tags are not implemented, there’s no deletion from server, and most of mail encryption is not there either. However it is still a very potent little email client, blazzingly fast, with easy concepts and configuration, that goes very well with Tmux and/or a tiling WM for multi-account. Since I can run it on all my machines (including my phone and server) and have nothing to worry about to administrate it, it has quickly become my main emailing tool even at work.

So, to sum it up, I really did not replace Mailpile by something similar, I don’t think there is something similar. My use just changed a bit, but I am still actively following Mailpile and will likely use it when I need encryption for instance, just not actively enough to be a good and reliable tester I think.


Looks like my comment It will likely be a while before there’s new code to test on this issue. was a bit of an understatement. I’m still hopeful that development will continue. Take care.